The official blog for Bank of England Mortgage
Click an article to read more
As the air turns crisp and the leaves change from green to amber, red and gold, you may find yourself wanting to linger a little longer on the porch and savor that glowing autumn light. Here are some ways to help create a comfortable, welcoming porch that says, “It’s Fall Y’all!”
There's nothing better than enjoying a crisp fall evening on the porch. But chilly nights require extra warmth. Make sure the chills are kept at bay by keeping a snuggly blanket nearby. If your porch is exposed to the elements, choose your fabric wisely. Make sure your favorite throw can stand up to temperamental fall weather before giving it a new home on the patio.
If you want to get a jump on fall porch decorating but it’s a little early for full-on Halloween, consider picking up some pumpkins and gourds in a more subtle color palette. Silvery green, white and pale orange pumpkins are beautiful and elegant, and they don’t scream “fall” so much as whisper it.
Help your hammock look right at home as the leaves begin to fall by boosting its comfort level with a smattering of pillows and a super-soft throw. Then just swap out your summer iced tea for a mug of hot apple cider, and you’ll be happily swinging and swaying until the first flakes fly.
If you live in the city or lean more modern in your taste, there are plenty of ways to cozy up your porch without overdosing on mums and jack-o’-lanterns. Instead, try a rich plum-colored throw and pillows, plus a potted orchid on the coffee table. It’s simple, elegant and easy to pull off.
If you’re lucky enough to have a working outdoor fireplace on the porch, fall is the perfect time to make use of it. Just be sure to schedule cleaning and maintenance before lighting it for the first time this season — buildup from previous fires, as well as debris or old animal nests, can cause a chimney fire.
As the days become shorter, good porch lighting will ensure that your leisurely evenings alfresco can continue all season long. If possible, have the lights put on a dimmer switch. It’s great to have a really bright porch light to see who’s at the door, but when you’re just hanging out, a soft glow is much more welcoming.
When there's a chill in the air it's time for bright petunia blossoms to give way to hardy fall blooms like mums. Add extra texture to your fall porch by trading out summery clay or painted pots for more rustic containers made of wood or metal. Ornamental grasses add another layer of interest and come with the bonus of being low-maintenance. Add them to mossy flower boxes or let them stand alone as sentries flanking the front door.
Summer is the perfect time for bright yellows and nautical blues, but nothing says fall like warm oranges and soft reds. Pack away beachy cushions and pillows and create an inviting outdoor space with a fall vibe by adding hues that echo the brilliance of fall foliage.
• A Loan that Works For You
• What’s Included in my Mortgage Payment?
• COVID-19 Impacts the Mortgage Industry
• Freshen up your house for the Market
• Tax Breaks Ease the Cost of a Mortgage
• Building Your Credit
• Winter Checklist
• Thanksgiving Party on a Budget
• Are You on Track to Meet Your Financial Goals?
• Save Money While Fully Embracing Fall
• A Checklist for All First Time Home Buyers
• Summer Home
• Get Ready for Summer
• Pre-Qualification vs. Pre-Approval
• Swing into Action | Count on Us!
• Shamrock Plant Care | Year-Round Tips
• Tax breaks ease the cost of mortgage
• New Year, Bold Beginnings
• Holiday Party Tips
• Perks of Shopping for a Home in the Winter
• Keep Your Home Warm This Winter!
• Planning, Saving, Investing & Home Equity
• Mortgage Rates and Buying Behaviors
• Human Mortgage in a Digital World
• It's all about the Curb Appeal
• You Design it, We Finance it!
• Swing Into Action!
• Spring into action - Tips on Homebuying
• Show your home a little Valentine's Day Love
• Spring Clean Your Finances
• Early Bird Filing Guide
• Indoor Winter House Cleaning & Organizing
• Perks of Owning a Green Home
• Guide to the Home Appraisal Process
• Down Payments Made Easy
• Back-to-School Survivial Guide
• Top Confusing Mortgage Terms Explained
• Mortgage Shopping Mistakes to Avoid
• Selecting The Right Mortgage Lender
• Moving Tips
• Should You Buy a Home or Rent?
• Credit Do's and Don'ts in the Mortgage Approval Process
• Make a Good Impression
• Mortgages By The Numbers
• Holiday Party Do's for Success
• Purchasing a home in winter could save you BIG $$